Thursday 11 April 2013

Part 2 – Mediterranean style structures


The “tiled roofing” was quite fragile, such that any indentations would not come out. This had to be applied over an even surface, so I covered each roof with card stock to improve the bond and smooth the roof surface.

Before applying the roof, I needed to undercoat the structures and did this with an earth tone. Some walls were pitted, so daubing white over the earth would leave places uncovered, but importantly the overall structure would not appear even; areas close to the ground would become dis coloured through dust and moisture.



With a marker, I sketched roughly where windows and doors would be. Doors and windows were painted in and typical of the style, I added shutters  painted green. With a fine micro-pen, I outlined the features to tidy the overall illusion.

Adding the tiles was the last step and this was done for both buildings and walls. These too, were undercoated with standard white household paint and hardened when dry. This was an ideal surface to wash a terracotta colour and dry-brush.



The BUA and farm must be based first before adding the finishing touches of shrubbery, ivy and trees. Unfortunately, my local supply shop exhausted their stock of 1.5 mm basswood, so I shall have to wait.

In the meantime, the Russians have arrived from America. 

4 comments:

  1. Very impressive. Will have to copy this idea I think. Many thanks for sharing.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only real cost will be the basswood bases to place them on and a bit of paint. The materials were scrap or packaging.

    As time permits I would like to add a village church and more buildings.

    Cheers,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look excellent. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve,

    Wait until I have them based and hang ivy, add a sparse amount of grass and trees. That will make the effort worth while.

    Cheers,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete